Thursday, 10 October 2013

Soda Kiln - first firing.

It's fair to say I've had some issues with the new kiln.  I did one bisque firing, which went well, then started a soda firing, but had to abandon it as the temperature wouldn't rise past about 1000 degrees.

Well, on Tuesday, we started another one.  It struggled.  But eventually I got the temperature guage to read 1250 degrees, and I added 3kg of soda and soaked for an hour before calling it a day, tired after a 14 hour firing that had used an awful lot of gas.

Anyway, below are some results.  Reds and oranges were forthcoming from various slips - the high nephaline slip being the best probably.  It was hot at the top, cool in the middle and hot at the bottom.  I reckon much of the flame went into the kiln and then straight out the flue, with some travelling up to the pots at the top and then straight down the middle between the stack and into the flue, bypassing the middle shelves.  Put it this way, I have lots of new cat bowls!  But also lots of positives to work on, and a few things to discard (crank clay, even tempered with porcelain, isn't my thing - all those spots!)  Well, there will also have to be some kiln fixes made and some rethinking done.  But first, will need to make some more pots.



Tea pot with grolleg slip - not pretty but best lid I've ever made.



Bowl with shino liner - I like this one.  Toasty on the outside, soda on the rim, coolish shino inside.



A bowl I hadn't meant to put in, but which took the soda quite nicely.  I like the white dots from the molochite grog, and the liner glaze was the blue celedon, which went green, but hey ho.



A beaker, using the Svend Bayer clay.  This clay worked quite well.






Mugs - some better than others.  Spotty ones are crank - the really red one is the high nepheline slip and is lovely - favourite pot, probably.


 Another vase with the Svend Bayer clay.


Big pot with the grolleg slip.  The slip was peeling off though.  Shame.  I made this to make sour kraut.





This tea caddy is quite nice, but where the soda and the slip met, there was a green ash deposit which was starting to come off the pot.  I've seen this before.  Possibly too much soda on this pot.  It was on the bottom shelf, and I think bore the brunt of most of one burner as it entered the flue exit.

No comments:

Post a Comment