Saturday, 24 March 2012

Wasting time?

After the throwing large course, there are a few things I think I need to get sorted out; paddles, a kick wheel and a large bench.  I have an old table that'll do as a bench until the barn is sorted (a kiln! I need a kiln too, of course.)

So, for the paddles I thought I'd try a bit of green woodwork and so I've built a shaving horse, based on a designed found here.


Well, it isn't that sturdy because the instructions say use 90mm coach screws but most of the wood is in threes and so 120mm thick, plus I didn't have a 6mm wood bit long enough for the 130mm screws I had.  So it's just tacked together with normal wood screws.  It isn't even that comfortable - I may have to buy a cushion.  Plus, I was looking through some book somewhere and they made paddles out of marine plywood - I could've done that instead.  Oh well, it works.

Well I say it works, except where do you buy a draw blade?  A modern spoke shave is more like a razor blade, and no one sells the long knives with two handles.  I'll have to do a car boot or auction to find one.

I have also found this plan for an onggi-style kick wheel.  I know it isn't what Nic uses, but I haven't got room for a large wheel like his, and this looked fairly easy to make.  I found the plan here.

Anyway, I took the plan up to the local hardware store and forge, and neither of us could explain exactly how it worked - it's a bit short of information.  I notice Adam Field has left a note:

"The plywood is simply screwed and glued together, and the wood given a coat of Thompson's Water Seal. I think the posts are lag screwed into the second from top and bottom sheets of plywood along with being glued into their mortised holes, but they might just be glued. Most of the cuts were made with a router, included the mortises in the plywood for the posts. The top bearing is a 1 inch-shaft thrust bearing that we salvaged off of an old kick wheel. It is lag screwed using its flange mounting to the underside of the top laminated plywood disk. The bottom bearing I found at a salvage dealer in town (it might be something like a clutch throwout bearing - I'm not sure) The bottom bearing mostly carries side thrust and is simply a press fit into a routed hole in the bottom plywood disk."

which helps a bit.  We did wonder why it didn't have a bearing at the top, and what kind of bearing to use.  But I am still not sure how it works (we presumed the solid rod was welded to the plate at the bottom, that the bearings were thrust bearings and that the bottom wheel just sat over it, the top one screwed on to a flange.  Anyway, I might start making the wheel and wheel head and mull over how to proceed.

Of course, what I should be doing is putting up my polytunnel...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andy, good to see what you are up to. You may end up a wood worker if you spend a lot of time making things on that new bench.

    I know nothing about building a kickwheel. Well, nothing helpful. I'm always confused about how you get it to run true. Good luck. I have been thinking about having a korean kick wheel, but I don't really want to build it myself. Oh well. Keep up updated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ron. To be honest, I won't be making it myself - or at least the difficult bit - I know nothing of welding and such things. The local shop is pretty good. I am certain the true-ness comes from the quality of the welding of the solid bar to the bottom plate, and the use of two bearings - one top, one bottom - which is why that plan is a bit confusing. Anyway, will let you know what happens.

    Getting woodworking tools is difficult it seems but I've found a forge on-line that makes some so I've ordered a draw knife and a froe. Should be an interesting distraction (I'm on holiday next week.)

    ReplyDelete