Wednesday, 30 March 2011

Sunny Hunny.

Spent the day demonstrating at the Le Strange Old Barns in Hunstanton, or Sunny Hunny as it is colloquially known.  I had a bit of a panic this morning, as I had to pack up a load of pots to take with me.  Here's the display:


This is the space I get for my pots.  It isn't as big as I'd thought it was - which is just as well because when i packed up the pots, I found many had blown their glaze or peeled.  Even the black slip is showing signs, which suggests I haven't actually fixed any of my problems.  This is all pretty demoralising.

Anyway, it wasn't very busy, but I did talk to some people, including a couple of fellow Anglian Potters members, which was great.  Everyone was friendly.  I sold one pot, which was good, although the cost probably didn't cover my petrol costs in the end.  But who knows what'll happen - it is only Wednesday, and it was raining.  The pot I sold is heading to Boston, I think.

I'm there again next Wednesday, then the Wednesday after that, then the following Sunday.

Here are a couple of big jugs I made the other day:


Trying to make some that are less like Doug's jugs.  The top one is pretty heavy, the next one...


has a scroll which I pulled off the bottom of the handle.  It's slightly less fat than the first, but uses less clay, so it feels better.  Anyway, I've slipped them - fat one got a pattern, the second one will get oxides blown on to it - something I'm enjoying doing.

Here's the one from the other day:


All leafed up, with stuff from the garden - dead nettle, clover, creeping cinquefoil and some member of the apiaceae - probably just cow parsley.  A bit plain, but it'll do.  Of course, they have to get past drying out (S-cracks) and bisquing next.

3 comments:

  1. Good looking display Andrew. Ring them about the clay, do it do it. If enough people tell them they'll have to buck their ideas up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definatly, - Do you remember me saying about finding a yummy 8 bags of White st. Thomas? They threw like a dream, they were at least 9yrs old. Then I realised why they were hidden as every single barstewarding pot blew up in the bisque.
    That's 200k of throwing.
    Ring them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. excellent news that you're giving le strange a go....its so cool that peeps are friendly makes a place really does!!! hope you sort out the clay issue too.

    ReplyDelete