Sunday, 27 March 2011

I was supposed to be making stock...

... and I have been.  Here's three 3 lb mixing bowls I made yesterday and slipped today.


and today I made three 5 lb mixing bowls - bigger and flatter.


But then the clay came out in big chunks and it just seemed right to do something bigger.


Well, i think this is better than my last effort, but it still isn't right.  I didn't belly the body out as much as the last one, but also, i threw it without ribbing the living daylights out of it, so it has some nice throwing rings.  It's about 18 inches tall, so the throwing in two parts thing really does work.  But that transition where I added the neck still is slightly wrong.

I quite like it though, but, as I said before, it is very like the ones Doug makes - or it is to me - and that worries me.  I will deco this with leaves, but try and find a take on it that Doug hasn't used.  It's difficult - I know it's all about the tradition and all that, but I don't want to tread on toes.

Of course, it might not survive.  I blew the last one up when i bisqued it!

Spring is underway here, and we're now on British Summer Time, which means that although it's 7.30pm here, it is still light outside.  My garden is an absolute mess, but at the same time, it is packed with flowers, from tree blossom and daffo-down-dillies, to mouse ears, bugle and speedwells.  Lots of insects and spiders about.  Nice.




No comments:

Post a Comment