Another 'experiment' - I liked the last one with the blown oxides, but not sure anyone else did - but this one I'm not so sure about. The jar is a heavy old thing and not sure the shape is the greatest - I trimmed around the bottom, but could have taken a lot more off, but never mind.
Decoration is through the glaze, over a black slip. I've added some more manganese and cobalt to the slip since I did this one, and not sure it needed it. It's quite a rich dark brown at the moment.
I haven't got much variety in terms of decoration - I'm liking this overlapping arches pattern, but I can't use it on everything, and I don't always get it right. It isn't quite right on this pot. Anyway, it's quite subtle as it is, black on black.
Well, I have a couple more jars that have black slip, so I'm going to have to do this again unless I make some just plain black jars. I think the Cardew pots I'm basing this on were bigger and had bolder decoration. But as I've done it, it seems a bit pointless.
Good point, though - no peeling. Different slip, of course - body clay with added oxides - would have been disappointed if this had peeled.