Monday, 28 February 2011

Cardew inspired large jar.

This is the large Cardew inspired jar I made, with the four handles.  The handles are too big - way too big - but I like it all the same.  It is a very good weight too (ie quite light for me) and it wasn't turned.  The glaze is the new honey glaze, which has come out slightly darker and flatter than the test tile.  It went on really thick.


The oxides - iron, manganese and some cobalt - are quite rough as they weren't sieved, just blown from the hand, as it came out of the packet.  Not sure about that, but then it isn't a functional pot really.



I also like the neck as the throwing lines stand out just enough under the thick glaze and slip.


Inevitably, though, the rim has peeled really badly, so, can't sell this one either.

5 comments:

  1. you on to something andy!! pity about the shelling...more tweaking required then :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm on to something here - I like the pot, although needs some tweaking - smaller handles, perhaps slightly less oxide, distributed more over the pot.

    Shelling is almost certainly the slip I think. I'm currently bisque firing a pot with black slip on it - manganese/iron with body clay - if the glaze shells off that pot then the glaze is still the problem (or some other part of the firing) but if the pot is ok, then I think it must indicate the white slip is at fault.

    Should hopefully know by Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't be too hard on yourself ... I think most of your 'experiments' look fine to me. Some people like things that aren't 'perfect'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a bit dubious about how well a plain ball clay slip would stay attached to the earthenware clay I was using, so I added about 10 percent standard borax frit to the ball clay, to assist in the bond when it was fired. Seems to work well (I don't know if purists would approve... but...). Your glaze recipes look totally normal and it is frustrating for you that you are having this problem with shelling. You are probably right about it being related to the slip attachment. I guess the only other thing is to speculate about the clay body... does it develop an impressive cristobalite related squeeze as it cools??? If that were the case, I guess firing slightly lower or faster, or adding some silica to the clay itself might improve things. Other people would be experiencing the same problem though if you are using a commercial body.

    I love the bellarmine shaped pot a few posts back, and your large jar with this post is exciting. The oxides look really lively and do animate it marvelously.

    Good luck with it all. P.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Peter. I've made a few more of the bellarmine jugs, but of course, they're covered in the same slip! So might be having to make them again. I had thought about adding some frit to the slip to aid bonding, but not sure whether it'll fix the problem (it isn't necessarily a bonding issue, it's a fit issue.) Anyway, I'll start with adding some china clay and see what happens. Interestingly the ball clay I use is almost universally used by british slipware potters as the slip of choice. It just doesn't seem to work with the commercial body I'm using (which seems to almost universally NOT be used by british slipware potters - oh well.)

    Catherine - thanks for the comment. I agree with you about imperfection - I have done a lot of woodfired stoneware and that's all about imperfection. I live with what comes out of the kiln, except for things like peeling, which are faults, not imperfections - quite different really.

    ReplyDelete