Thursday, 13 January 2011

Slipping and cutting.

Today I've slipped some mugs and cut some feet.  The mugs are very Doug-esque, I'm afraid - just simple marks.  Not sure what they'll look like with a glaze on them.


I did three small ones with slip inside as well as out.  They weren't quite so successful.


For a start they changed shape slightly:


My slip was very thick and the pots probably a touch too wet still.  I am prone to impatience.  Thanks to Doug, Ron and Paul J I have adjusted my slip and I've slipped one pot just on the inside, which I'm going to let dry before I do the outside.

I cut some feet too.  Four yunomi and a couple of tea bowls:


I say tea bowls, but they're not really - they're probably too big for a start.  No japanese person would recognise them as such, I don't think.  The feet look fancy until you get up close  - the cross-cut one is a bit of a mess, but I made it a bit better with the help of a sponge.  It was too big for my wire.  I like cut feet like this.

Here are some beakers I threw yesterday, waiting to be fettled and slipped - almost all the same size.  Not bad considering I've been out of it for three months.


That's all for now.

2 comments:

  1. Pots look good. HOpe to see more. Yep that slipped looked a bit on the thick side. You'll get it after a few more tries. Onward....

    ReplyDelete